Tech Musings

Thursday, April 07, 2016

Show Scroll Position Firefox Extension

I created a Firefox extension this week to display the (X,Y) scroll coordinates of the browser window in the status bar. I'm pretty proud of myself, actually! This article written by Justin Huff was a big help. I'm planning to eventually add it to the Firefox Add-on extension Web site after I test it on multiple platforms and Firefox versions. So far, I've only had a chance to test it on Mac OS X with Firefox 2.0.x.

Yesterday, I was trying to decide where to place the vertical Y scroll position in a javascript scrollTo function and decided to look for a Firefox extension that would show me the window coordinates in real time. Amazingly, I couldn't find one. I was so surprised someone hadn't yet created this easy add on that I decided to create it myself!

In the meantime, feel free to test it out on your platform and let me know if it works for you!! This is still an experimental add-on which means you will need to create an account on the mozilla site to download it.

Show Scroll Position Extension (.xpi).

3 Comments:

  • Hi,
    While trying to fix an image map, I came across your extension, on the Firefox addon stite (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7569)
    I guess I was the first to download it.
    Figured I'd let you know how it's running for me :)

    I'm running a PC, Vista Home Premium (blech), Firefox v 2.X, (with a buncha other addons)
    The problem I'm having is that it only seems to show the vertical, and only when I scroll the scroll bar. If it would show the horizontal, it would be perfect!
    ..
    I just tested it on my XP machine, (also running Firefox 2.X) and it did the same thing.

    Hope this helps some :)
    Z

    By Blogger TheZKitten, at 1:44 PM  

  • thanks for the feedback. I'm curious to know if you see a zero in front of the vertical Y coordinate (e.g. 0,233) after scrolling? If so, it should display the horizontal X coordinate IF there is enough content on the target page to actually scroll to the right.

    By Blogger Jim Epler, at 2:14 PM  

  • I am unable to install this extension onto FF2.0.15 under Linux Ubuntu 8.04. Thought you might like to know.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home